Friday, August 6, 2010

Afternoon Delight

Recently a friend of mine, we'll call him Fabuloso, acquired a windfall of his own--an amazing house! Not only is the house his very own, but it's also in an awesome location, super freaking cute, and includes a huge backyard with a virtual wall of blackberry bushes. Double windfall!

I asked Fabuloso if I could stop by on Thursday to pick some berries to add to my peach crisp and he said, Stop by anytime. So I did mid-afternoon and found the house quiet with a door open. I knocked a few times, but didn't see any sign of Fabuloso, so I walked around to the open door and called his name.

Fabuloso appeared seconds later and said surprised, Oh, it's you, you're here!
Yeah, I said, I knocked, but you must have not heard me.
Oh, I heard you. I'm having sex.

I think I turned bright red. Yes, dear friends, I was embarrassed. I stop by to mooch off someone's good fortune and interrupt another good fortune.

Apologies stumbled awkwardly from my mouth, but he graciously waved them off and said, Go pick some berries, which I did, albeit self-consciously, snatching ripe and under-ripe alike, in an effort to pick as few as I thought my crisp could get away with. I was so flustered I even forgot to take a picture of the bush buzzing with bees and heavy with fruit.

I had decided to call this recipe Dori's Almond Crumb Crisp, as it is James' mom's recipe handed down to me, but instead I think I will call it Afternoon Delight.

Afternoon Delight, aka Dori's Almond Crumb Crisp

Inside:
5 C sliced fruit and/or berries
1 T sugar, optional
1 tsp lemon juice

Topping:
1 C flour
1/2 C sugar
1/2 C butter, cut into small cubes
1 C chopped almonds
1/2 tsp almond extract
1 tsp vanilla extract

1. Combine inside ingredients and pour into 8x8 pan.


2. Combine topping ingredients in a large bowl. For ease in mixing, a steep-sided bowl is best so you don't fling crumbs everywhere. Use a pastry-cutter or two forks to cut butter evenly into the crumb. Cover fruit with topping.



3. Bake at 375 degrees for about 30 minutes or until top in browned. Cool on a rack. Serve warm with ice cream, creme fraiche, or whipped cream.







No comments:

Post a Comment