Tuesday, August 3, 2010

A Flat of Peaches

What to do with a flat of moldering, festering Kashiwase peaches?
Make cobbler? Yes.
Make popsicles? Definitely.
Use them as bait for your carniverous plant? Sure, why not!

For my birthday James got me this adorable Venus Flytrap. What better way to say I love you than a Venus Flytrap? I've been concerned whether it's getting enough to eat (typical me), so the other day I baited my trap with the peaches the fruit flies had their hearts set on:


Look at those peaches. They are disgusting. Oozing and weeping with sweet sugary juice. Most people would compost these, but not me. I put my superior peel-and-cut-the-fruit-while-it's-in-your-hand skill to use. Of course, I let the Flytrap have a go at the fruit flies first. Though it turns out it takes quite a bit of movement for the Venus Flytrap to snatch at its prey. After a day of waiting for the Flytrap to work its magic, I took over and just smacked one of the little bumbling flies in between my hands and fed it to the Flytrap manually. It snapped shut so fast I shouted.

After composting about a third of the flesh that was too bruised and battered to eat, I was left with about five cups of elegant white peaches. The first thing I made was popsicles, because lately I crave popsicles. It's not even that hot around here, but for some reason I find them so satisfying. Also, they are incredibly easy. So maybe I'm just lazy.

For these I was just going to puree ~2 cups of the flesh and then add a 1/4 cup of limeade that I had in the fridge, but as the blender was whirring away I slipped one of the slices from the bowl into my mouth and had a flash of genius as the subtle floral bouquet of white peach filled my mouth. Rose water! I had a bottle of this that we once bought intending to make lassi and then never did. I found it and added to the mixture about a tablespoon and then tasted. Pretty good, but white peaches aren't as high in sugars as yellow peaches so I added about three tablespoons of agave nectar. Simple syrup would work here too (just add a little less since it is sweeter), but again, I was feeling lazy, and when else am I going to use that agave nectar that Cathy gave me when she moved? Thanks, Cathy! Wish you were here to try one of these popsicles, because, man oh man, were they amazing. Better than the melon popsicles even, though not as nostalgic. I will post the peach cobbler I made another day.


White Peach, Rose Water, and Limeade Popsicle Recipe

Add to a blender or cuisinart, the following and blend till smooth:

~2 cups peeled and sliced white peaches
1 T rose water
1/4 C limeade
3 T agave nectar

Pour into molds or ice cube trays, reserving about 1/4" at the top to allow for expansion. Freeze for at least two hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment