Saturday, September 4, 2010

Rustic Peach and Mozzarella Galette

This weekend I made this deliciousness:


I was very pleased with how flaky and buttery the pastry turned out and felt like my old employer, Grand Central Bakery in Portland, Oregon (the King of Rustic Pastry) would have approved. Maybe I actually could have been a pastry chef rather than the retail/sandwichland maven/barista that I once was. I used David Lebovitz's dough recipe from his amazing French Tomato Tart and, as long as all my future pastry comes out so nicely, I think I'm sold. The main difference is that he scrambles an egg with the cold water. I even made it in the cuisinart and it turned out well.



The filling was inspired by a salad that James once threw together. I layered nutty parmesan with savory-sweet caramelized shallots, fresh peaches and fresh mozzarella, drizzled it with olive oil and some of E.'s honey, and sprinkled it with fresh thyme and basil.

Since E.'s honey was crystallized I had to melt it. I don't use microwaves and was so happy to use the adorable syrup warmer we recently bought. I just put it right on a low gas burner and in minutes it was ready to pour.

We shared this galette with friends at brunch and happily, it was a hit.

Rustic Peach and Mozzarella Galette

Pastry:

David Lebovitz's tomato tart dough recipe

Filling:

3 T grated parmesan
1 large shallot, sliced thin
3 T olive oil
4-5 peaches, peeled and sliced
1 ball fresh mozzarella, sliced
2 heaping T of fresh herbs, such as basil, thyme, chives, or rosemary
2 T honey
Salt and Pepper

1. Roll out dough and put on parchment paper-covered baking sheet.
2. Sprinkle with parmesan, reserving a generous 2 inches around the edge to allow for crust to be folded over.
3. Caramelize shallots in 1 T of olive oil and then sprinkle over cheese.
4. Starting in the middle, arrange peach slices in a single layer.
5. Top with slices of mozzarella.
6. Sprinkle with fresh herbs and salt and pepper.
7. Drizzle with remaining 2 T olive oil and 2 T honey.
8. Pick a point of the dough and fold it in. Continue folding every few inches, until you have worked your way back to the beginning.

Bake at 425 degrees for 30 minutes, checking half way to rotate.

2 comments:

  1. all of your recipes are so thoughtful and beautifully executed. i look forward to each post and dream about when my farm will allow me the time to try each recipe out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. awww, Sweet Caitlin-- thank you for your encouragement. one day i would love to visit your farm.

    ReplyDelete